Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Friend

A man that has friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18:24 KJV)

This scripture like all scripture has more than one meaning. It has the natural meaning; that man can have a friend who is closer to him than a brother, and the spiritual meaning; that Jesus is our brother who sticks closer to us than any other.

This is a unique scripture that gives me great peace. I have a brother, I'm blessed I have a brother.
Unfortunately he's younger, in better shape & more intelligent than I am. He is amazing and cool and loves me tremendously and would do anything for me. Because I've experienced this love in my life and because I have seen it and felt it and have lived it, this scripture has even greater meaning to me.

If an earthly man who sees my faults and my shortcomings; an earthly man who I have hurt and letdown. If an earthly man still cares about me and loves me to the degree that I know my brother does, how much more does God love me? The God who created me, gave me a purpose and desires to spend eternity with Him.

That is what is so exciting about the Christian life. We have a chance to live life here for 60, 70, 80 or more years, then, if we choose Jesus, we get to live in eternity with Him.

As a friend, Jesus looks to fulfill the desires of our heart. Now this eternity thing is cool. Some Christians have this idea that we will be hanging out around the throne of God for eternity, worshiping God. The reality is, God created eternity for us.

Eternity is actually an amazing place that will take us all of eternity to explore and enjoy.  Our friend has set into motion a series of events that will bless us into and beyond eternity.

A friend is precious - a friend is a blessing, as heirs of eternity, we are blessed beyond what we could ever imagine to have a friend like Jesus. He never brings up the past, never reminds us of our failures, instead, He works all things for our good.  Amazing!



No comments: