Monday, January 7, 2013

Hunger for Worship

Hunger

I wonder how many Christians attend Sunday services with real expectation of experiencing the manifest presence of God?  There are so many different aspects to service, but I am convinced that the base element of a great worship service is found in the response to worship by the congregants. 
With the wide variety of worship styles and music we have available today, added to the different expectations of people, what we need is an understanding of worship from a spiritual perspective. 

The first response to worship from most Christians is usually a purely fleshly response. It usually starts out something like this; "I feel that today's worship was...." or "I think that the worship was..."
I can think of nothing more frustrating as a pastor who has taught on worship, led worship, preached on worship and lives a worshipful expression each time we gather.  Of course, I need to deny my frustrations and give it all to God, realizing that for most, the revelation of worship is still veiled.

If we can somehow take a trip back to the Old Testament times and live with the tribes of Israel for a while.  If we could take this trip and still retain the knowledge of the wonderful expressions of worship we have available to us today, thanks to technology and modern instrumentation, we should emerge with a true revelation of worship.  

It was never about how well a song was performed, or how loud or soft the music may be, but instead, it was about the connection of the individual to presence of God.  Worship that is heart driven, heart motivated and heart delivered, will always touch the throne of God, will always draw men to enter into the presence of God.  Lost in the presence of God, not because of perfectly executed or sung songs, but because of a hungry heart for the presence of God.

If we come hungry, I mean really hungry, whatever is laid before you you will partake, and be grateful.  Hunger takes imperfect music, voices, and tempo and after eating and digesting, the release is gratitude and gratefulness, thankfulness and heart of praise and worship.  
If we desire to be in the presence more than we desire to be "pleased" by certain music, or "touched" by certain songs, then that hunger will translate into a wonderful feast in the presence of a Holy God.  

Worship is so much more than many Christians can understand. It is not often understood by the mind or approved of by emotions. Worship is a sacrifice, a yielding of one's own ideas and expectations.  Worship is grasping the opportunity to be in the presence of God, and lifting a sacrifice of thanks for that opportunity, regardless of the vehicle, music or voice, that helped in your "transportation" into the presence of God.

Before I had a revelation of worship, I would find it hard to understand how anyone could be moved into the presence of God when, for instance, someone with a terrible voice sang with all their heart. My flesh would cringe.  

I remember the evening that my eyes were opened.  As this young man sang, and his voice cracked, and missed notes, suddenly I saw the wickedness of my heart and I broke down, cried and experienced one of the greatest moments of my life. That night, worship took on a new meaning.  

I could now, enter into the presence of God in the midst of  a Christian rap concert or a choir of angelic singers.  The vehicle no longer mattered, all that mattered was that I could - I could worship, I could choose to worship and be grateful for that exact moment.  It is another opportunity afforded me by God to come into His presence.  

I no longer look for specific worship styles, not that I do not have my own favorites, but if God chooses to enjoy and inhabit our praise, whenever the opportunity arises, in whatever venue, I will accept that invitation and be grateful.  

Lost in the presence of God, all music takes on a different form. I'm not sure if its because of angels joining in the chorus or if its because the spirit realm is so fulfilling.  Today, I prepare for worship by checking my heart, I force out every thought other than God, I eliminate any distractions by closing my eyes if necessary and I choose to not listen with my emotions.  I am training my spirit to control my mind will and emotions as I yield my body to the desire of the spirit.  I come hungry, I come starving for God.  I must have His presence - We could live 1000 years and still never experience all of Him.  


No comments: